Jollof rice is a delicacy loved by most Nigerians and it is always present on the event menu. Jollof rice is rice prepared with tomato sauce and spices. It takes special skills to be able to prepare the perfect Nigerian jollof rice. This delicacy is not only peculiar to Nigeria, in fact there have been arguments about which country prepares the best jollof rice. This argument has been between Nigeria and Ghana but recently, Senegal was dragged into the argument. Well, here is a recipe for Nigerian jollof rice courtesy Deartosin.
- 3 cigar cups | 750g long grain parboiled rice
- Tomato sauce 500 mls
- Chicken or Turkey
- Pepper and salt (to taste)
- 2 medium onions
- 3 seasoning cubes
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
Before you cook Jollof Rice, prepare the tomato sauce.
Ingredients for Nigerian Tomato Sauce
- Plum tomatoes
- Tomato puree
- Vegetable Oil: a generous quantity
- 2 onions
Before you cook Tomato Sauce
- Wash and blend the fresh plum tomatoes.
- Mix tomato puree with little water so it’s not too thick.
- Cut the onions into small pieces.
- Pour the fresh tomato blend into a pot and cook at high heat till almost all the water has dried. If you have the watery tinned/boxed tomato puree, add these to the pot and reduce the heat to low. Cook till the water in the tomato puree have dried as much as possible.
- Add the vegetable oil, the chopped onions and the thick tomato puree that you mixed in step 2 above (if it’s the puree you are using). Stir very well.
- If you are happy with the taste and you are sure that all the water has dried as much as possible, pour out the excess vegetable oil then add the well fried tomato stew to your cooking.
- If you are not using it immediately, leave to cool down, dish in containers and store in the freezer.
Preparing The Chicken
- Wash and cut it into pieces. Cook with the thyme, seasoning cubes and 2 bulbs of onions (chopped). When done, grill it in an oven. You may also fry it. This is to give it a golden look which is more presentable especially if you have guests for dinner.
- Parboil the rice and rinse the parboiled rice and put in a sieve to drain.
- Pour the chicken stock and the tomato stew into a sizeable pot and leave to boil.
- Add the drained parboiled rice, curry powder, salt and pepper to taste. The water level should be the same level of the rice. This is to ensure that all the water dries up by the time the rice is cooked.
- Cover the pot and leave to cook on low to medium heat. This way the rice does not burn before the water dries up.
Taste to confirm. If not, you will need to add more water and reduce the heat to prevent burning. Keep cooking till done.
Serve with fried plantain, moin moin or saladand your favorite drink.
Do enjoy and share your cooking experience with me. I also have a recipe for jollof spaghetti you would enjoy here..
So where can you get the best jollof rice? LOL!